This policy is updated from time to time. The latest version is published on this page.
If you have any questions about this policy, please email info(at)kenttamilsangam.org.
At the Kent Tamil Sangam, we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
We gather and use certain information about individuals in order to provide products and services and to enable certain functions on this website.
We also collect information to better understand how visitors use this website and to present timely, relevant information to them.
This policy describes how this personal data must be collected, handled and stored to meet the company’s data protection standards — and to comply with the law.
We are the data controller for the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679) (“Data Protection Legislation”).
Who are we?
We are the Kent Tamil Sangam, a voluntary and community organisation promoting Tamil culture, language and heritage. The registered address is 2 Hampton Close, Herne Bay, Kent CT68BZ.
How do we collect information from you?
We obtain information about you when you use our website, become a member , register to attend one of our events or when you contact us about other services we offer, to make a donation or if you register to receive one of our newsletters or email updates and communications.
What data we gather?
We may collect the following information:
- Name and job title
- Contact information including email address
- Demographic information, such as postcode, preferences and interests
- Website usage data
- Other information relevant to enquiries
- Other information pertaining to special events and surveys
How we use this data?
Collecting this data helps us understand what you are looking from us, enabling us to deliver improved services.
Specifically, we may use data:
- For our own internal records.
- To improve the products and services we provide.
- To contact you in response to a specific enquiry.
- To customise the website for you.
- To send you promotional emails about products, services, offers and other things we think might be relevant to you.
- To send you promotional mailings or to call you about products, services, offers and other things we think might be relevant to you.
- To contact you via email, telephone or mail for market research reasons.
Who has access to your information?
We do not and will not sell or rent your information to third parties.
We do not and will not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
When you provide Personal Information to the Kent Tamil Sangam, it is administered by either our committee members or website administrator.
Your Communication Preference
You have a choice about whether or not you wish to receive information from us. If you do not want to receive direct marketing communications from us about our events, news and development of the Sangam, then you can select your choices by ticking the relevant boxes situated on the form on which we collect your information.
We will not contact you for marketing purposes by email, phone or text message unless you have given your prior consent. We will not contact you for marketing purposes by post if you have indicated that you do not wish to be contacted. You can change your marketing preferences at any time by contacting us by email: info(at)kenttamilsangam.org
How you can update your information
The accuracy of your information is important to us. We are working on ways to make it easier for you to review and correct the information that we hold about you. In the meantime, if you change email address, or if any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date, please email us at: info(at)kenttamilsangam.org
You have the right to ask for a copy of the information Kent Tamil Sangam hold about you and you have the right of Erasure (“right to be forgotten”) unless there are legal reasons that would prevent this action.
Cookies and how we use them
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file placed on your computer's hard drive. It enables our website to identify your computer as you view different pages on our website.
Cookies allow websites and applications to store your preferences in order to present content, options or functions that are specific to you. They also enable us to see information like how many people use the website and what pages they tend to visit.
- Analyse our web traffic using an analytics package. Aggregated usage data helps us improve the website structure, design, content and functions.
- Identify whether you are signed in to our website. A cookie allows us to check whether you are signed in to the site.
- Test content on our website. For example, 50% of our users might see one piece of content, the other 50% a different piece of content.
- Store information about your preferences. The website can then present you with information you will find more relevant and interesting.
- To recognise when you return to our website. We may show your relevant content, or provide functionality you used previously.
Cookies do not provide us with access to your computer or any information about you, other than that which you choose to share with us.
However, please note that doing this may affect how our website functions. Some pages and services may become unavailable to you.
To learn more about cookies and how they are used, visit All About Cookies.
Controlling information about you
When you fill in a form or provide your details on our website, you will see one or more tick boxes allowing you to:
- Opt-in to receive communications from us by email.
We will never lease, distribute or sell your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or the law requires us to.
Any personal information we hold about you is stored and processed under our data protection policy, in line with the Data Protection Act 1998.
We will always hold your information securely.
To prevent unauthorised disclosure or access to your information, we have implemented strong physical and electronic security safeguards.
We also follow stringent procedures to ensure we work with all personal data in line with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Links from our site
Our website may contain links to other websites.
Please note that we have no control of websites outside the www.kenttamilsangam.org domain. If you provide information to a website to which we link, we are not responsible for its protection and privacy.
Always be wary when submitting data to websites. Read the site’s data protection and privacy policies fully.